Monday, March 28, 2011

Cullavagga - Tenth Khandhaka: Chapter 8

1. Now at that time a Bhikkhunî, a pupil of the Bhikkhunî Uppalavannâ, followed
the Blessed One for seven years, learning the Vinaya; but she, being forgetful,
lost it as fast as she received it. And that Bhikkhunî heard that the Blessed
One was about to go to Sâvatthi. Then she thought: 'For seven years have I
followed the Blessed One, learning the Vinaya; and, being forgetful, I have lost
it as fast as I received it. Hard is it for a woman to follow the Blessed One
her life long. What now shall I do?'
And that Bhikkhunî told this matter to the Bhikkhunîs, and they told it to the
Bhikkhus, and the Bhikkhus told it to the Blessed One.
'I allow Bhikkhus, O Bhikkhus, to teach the Vinaya to Bhikkhunîs.'
________________________
Here ends the First Portion for Recitation.




Footnotes
334:1 Ropetum, on which Buddhaghosa says: Tagganiyâdisu imam nâma kammam etissâ
kâtabban ti evam ropetvâ.

0 comments:

Post a Comment