Friday, March 25, 2011

Mahavagga - Eighth Khandhaka: Chapter 16

1, 2. Now at that time Bhikkhus who had eaten sweet foods went to sleep
unmindful and unthoughtful. And they who had thus gone to sleep, dreamed 1 . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
3 'I allow, O Bhikkhus, for the protection of the body, and of the robe, and of
the sleeping-place, the use of a mat.'
4. Now at that time the mat, being too short 2, did not protect the whole of the
sleeping-place.
'I allow you, O Bhikkhus, to have a covering made as large as you like.'



Footnotes
226:1 The remainder of this introductory story scarcely bears translation. The
first sentences recur in the Sutta-vibhaṅga, Samghâdisesa I, 2, I, and Pâkittiya
V, 1, I.
226:2 The length of a mat (nisîdanam) was limited by the 89th Pâkittiya to two
spans by one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment