Saturday, May 14, 2011

Khuddaka Nikaya - Theragatha 11

Khuddaka Nikaya - Theragatha 11

Thag 11.1
Sankicca
Translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro BhikkhuPTS: vv. 597-607



Source: Transcribed from a file provided by the translator.



Copyright © 2004 Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Access to Insight edition © 2004
For free distribution. This work may be republished, reformatted,
reprinted, and redistributed in any medium. It is the author's wish,
however, that any such republication and redistribution be made available
to the public on a free and unrestricted basis and that translations and
other derivative works be clearly marked as such.



What do you want in the woods, my boy,
like a bird1 exposed to the rain?
Monsoons refresh you,
for seclusion is for those in jhana.

As the monsoon wind
drives the clouds in the rainy season,
so thoughts concerned with seclusion
impel me.

* * *

A black crow
making its home in a charnel ground
inspires within me
mindfulness in —
based on dispassion for —
the body.2

* * *

One whom others don't guard,
who doesn't guard others:
He is a monk
who lies down in ease,
unconcerned with sensual passions.

* * *

With clear waters &
massive boulders,
frequented by monkeys &
deer,
covered with moss &
water weeds:
those rocky crags
refresh me.

* * *

I've lived in wildernesses,
canyons, & caves,
isolated dwellings
frequented by predator & prey,
but never have I known
an ignoble, aversive resolve:
"May these beings
be destroyed,
be slaughtered,
fall into pain."

* * *

The Teacher has been served by me;
the Awakened One's bidding,
done;
the heavy load, laid down;
the guide to becoming,3 uprooted.
And the goal for which I went forth
from home life into homelessness
I've reached:
the end
of all fetters.

I don't delight in death,
don't delight in living.
I await my time
like a worker his wage.
I don't delight in death,
don't delight in living.
I await my time
mindful, alert.



Notes
1. Ujjuhaana. The Commentary offers two interpretations for this word. The first
is that it is a hill covered with jungle and many streams that tended to
overflow in the rainy season. The other is that it is the name of a bird that
could stay comfortable even when exposed to cold, wind, and rain. I've chosen
the second alternative. K.R. Norman speculates that the term could be written
ujjahaana, in which case it would be the present participle for a verb meaning
abandoned or cast off. However, none of the manuscripts support his speculation.
2. In other words, the sight of the crow taking up residence in skulls and other
body parts provided a chastening perspective on how the mind takes up residence
in the body.
3. The guide to becoming is craving.
See also: Thag 5.8; Thag 14.1; Thag 18.

0 comments:

Post a Comment